Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 50: Coming Together

One of my favourite aspects of triathlon and training is the different perspectives you gain through a sport that's actually three sports.

Whether it be finding resiliency in yourself when you are two hours into your long run at the end of a 20 hour training week, or realizing that in the grand scheme of things training is not the be all-end all you think it may be, I think training has given me a lot in return.

But because of those new perspectives I have gained, I also have the tendency to make observations on how others see me as a triathlete. Like when people see my tri bike...

"Wow, what a beautiful bike...except for those silly bottle cages"

Well, good thing I'm more concerned with not dying of dehydration than how water bottles affect my image. Or, when I'm out riding said tri bike and, since I try to be nice to everyone, I wave to all the roadies who don't wave back...

"What the hell are those horns on the front of that guy's bike..."

They are my shifters, and on behalf of all triathletes you're welcome for creating the time trial bike.

And then there are the times I am riding my road bike, and I am accepted by both the visual presentation authorities and the roadies. And when a runner crosses the road right in front of me without looking, nearly running right into my front wheel...

"JEEZ! Goddamn cyclists!!"

No respect from anyone. Thus I have no choice but to conclude that triathletes are some sort of mutant half-breed (1/3rd breed?) athletes who really don't belong anywhere.

What am I talking about again? Oh right, updates.

So I was sick for a few days with the flu at the start of last week and missed a few workouts for the first time in my little build so far. But all is well and I still managed to put a pretty decent week of training together. This week is another recovery week before my final build cycle, but rather than try to switch things around to make up for an up and down week I'm taking it for what it is and holding myself back this week.

If I had any questions about how my training program is working I think they have all been answered over the past three weeks. Coming off my swim camp last month I have posted 3 PB's in the pool, two of which in a "normal" workout. 2k starting from the pro wave doesn't feel daunting in the least, and I'm even starting to feel like I can race the distance. I still fully expect and intend to swim within myself (which will probably mean letting the pack go) but I'm confident with where my training has gotten me.

Run training has been very focused on endurance workouts just to prepare for the long run off a hard bike. Maybe I have been a little too focused on just making the distance, but based on my last trip to STX I really think you need to be in ironman shape to survive that run. But my base is good and the strength is there. I have suprised myself on every long run with how easy the distance and pace feels. Hopefully the next few weeks of more running off the bike and heat acclimation with help control those variables and allow me to put it together on race day (or at least cross the finish line before ending up in medical this year). I know this race is still all about learning the distance but I couldn't be happier with where things are at right now.

And then there's the bike. Well with the record breaking temperatures I got outside much earlier than expected and put some miles on P3. I shocked myself with how easy and fast everything feels. Much like the run I just plan on managing the distance, no crazy efforts or goals. But P3 is FAST and after an awesome ride with the Coach Chris team yesterday, turns out my legs are working ok too! So I'm excited to see what I can do on the bike this year.

I have put a lot of miles behind me over the past 7 weeks and the next 3 weeks will be a lot of race specific prep with more over distance rides and runs, some indoor bricks for heat prep on the St Croix Computrainer Real Course (so beneficial to the race), and best of all some RACING! Next week I will do my first event of 2012 with the Good Friday Road Race - thanks to the support of Coach Chris. It feels strange to get on the road bike with all the time I have spent in the aerobars, but I'm fit on the bike and it will be a great opportunity to get into racing mode again, and then get a couple long rides in the hills around Hamilton after.

I also did something a little crazy and signed up for the half marathon at Run for Retina the following weekend. It may have been a little more logical to do a 10k or something, but I really want to feel confident with the distance, get an idea of goal pacing for St Croix, and make sure my nutrition plan works. I honestly have no idea what to expect, but it will be the learning experience I need. And I'm sure it will be on very tired legs so it will be a great mental challenge.

So less than 6 weeks of training left...half of which are adapdation weeks. Race season is coming fast but things are looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment