Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 28: A Lesson

Why am I still writing out the days?...I realize it's starting to get a tad annoying. But I don't feel like stopping at the point. So you'll have to just deal with it :)

This past week has been a recovery week in my first little build cycle. I have found it much easier to push through a really heavy 3 week training block knowing that there's a very distinct recovery week following, more for a mental break than anything else. I have had no problem hitting 20 hour training weeks on my "on" weeks through this block, something I would rarely touch in mid-season in previous years. But with training ramping up my recovery week was still around 16 hours of training (I think I was around 12-15 hours per week this time last year). NOT that I'm advocating trying to put in big training weeks with a ton of garbage miles just to say you're doing 20 hour weeks...

But when I was still feeling very tired yesterday at the end of a week that was supposed to get my re-energized for a BIG block coming up next week, I was getting a little concerned with things. My day started with a big sleep in and a muddy tempo run on my favourite trail. Legs did not feel good after climbing Richter Pass on the Computrainer 12 hours prior. But a nice little mental victory to finish strong after wanting to turn around and go to bed.

Ok, really not feeling recovered at this point.

3 hours of zoning out and 2 hours of napping later, I only had 45 minutes to get a swim in, which despite my gains from swim camp I was not motivated in the least to get done.

Maybe I shouldn't go, I'm only swimming today because work messed with my training schedule this week.

Got to the pool at 5:10pm and I'm meeting Coach Chris at 6 to pick up my team kit and discuss some possible road races this summer to put Black Beauty to work (I feel very neglectful with all the time I've been spending on the tri bike). Guess I have time for 2k straight easy swim and call it a day...I'll try not to let it get to me that "lane swimming" meant that one lane was open and players 2 & 3 were already going at it before I jumped in. But luckily I was able to rely on my new positive attitude towards swimming (and water in general) and it felt nice to get in a stretch out my stroke with no desire to look up at the clock, count strokes or overemphasize any part of my still slightly robotic swim stroke.

400m in and I push off into someone who suddenly decided to switch the direction of the lane. I ain't shook.

1k done...that wen't quickly. Stroke feels great, no effort so far.

Ok maybe I'm glad I got in after all.

1500m in and still swimming effortlessly and feeling good about my improving swim stroke. So I just happened to catch the time out of the corner of my eye, and calculated when I - pretended - not to notice what the clock said when I jumped in.

Hmm, on pace for a PB. That's pretty cool.

So I pretended not to watch the clock for another 400m, still feeling totally effortless. Maybe I don't need to be scared of a 2k ocean swim after all!

Well I have to go for it now.

Finished my - 1900 easy, 100 just a wee bit faster - with a nice PB, without a warmup or any concern for how fast I was swimming. Just focusing on finishing 2k trying to maintain an effortless stroke after a day of feeling pretty bagged. And now I get to finish off the recovery week feeling enegrized and excited for the little victories.

Actually that's swim PB number 2 for the week. So my recovery week ends today with a short-long run and another swim. My next block starts tomorrow (number 2 of 3 up to St. Croix), and if I had to race tomorrow I would be pretty confident with my fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment