Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 41: Superbummed

If I was bummed last week with all my peeps heading south for training camps, while I was at least enjoying some nice weather at home...now I'm superbummed. Yesterday I had the usual 5:15am Friday wakeup for swimming, and as usual it was a struggle to get my lazy ass out of bed. But once I get there (usually still in my PJs on deck) with the group its always motivating. And despite the nice reminder that swimming is going in the right direction, seeing some :12's and :13s, it didn't feel too good afterwards. Back home for a 2hr nap before work, and a 3hr brick after that.

A few hours later I had to leave work with the flu and spent the rest of the day in bed. I haven't been sick like that in years, and while it has been going around it probably didn't help that I was going a little too hard on my first outdoor rides last week. It just felt way too cool to average 44km/h for my intervals :)

So today I spent the day lying on my couch, sunny and 20 degrees outside, P3 staring at me by the front door, moping to Amanda that I couldn't ride with her in Hamilton this weekend. I was supposed to ride 100k this morning....

Fortunately 24 hours off has been about the biggest hiccup in training so far this year so I'm not actually going to complain. As mentioned I've been lucky enough to get out on the bike in some beautiful early spring weather, and the combination of consistently being on the trainer 5 days a week through the winter, and a lot of time spent fine tuning my bike fit looks like it's really going to pay off this summer. I feel like I'm cheating with how fast this bike is, and after 3 tri bikes in the past 3 years and endless tinkering with my position it finally feels comfortable and sustainable in the aerobars. I can't wait to see how it rolls with the disc wheel and ny new Wingspan helmet.

Running is a bit more of a mystery at this point, with a lot of focus being on swimming and putting a ton of time on the bike as well. With most of my running being endurance and race-specific tempo(which for a 70.3 doesn't feel particularly fast in training) its hard to say where I stand besides feeling good with my goals.

Besides the everyday grind I'm also working more closely with my physio and incorporating some massage into my routine to keep everything working properly. I haven't had a training injury in close to two years but the small things can be easily neglected when things seem to be going well. For example, tight hips means a less aggressive bike position and sore back running off (a big no no for me). So I'm taking a more proactive approach rather than being too cheap to take prehab seriously.

Long story short I'm actually not bummed at all, I will be back at it tomorrow and I'm looking foward to warm weather this week and six more weeks after that of solid training with a couple races thrown in to remember how to hurt. Looks like I'll be dusting off the road bike for the Good Friday Road Race in a couple weeks, and since I've been doing all TT training I'll probably have to go off the front. And after that I'm planning on racing the Run for Retina Half Marathon to learn how to race a half and figure out my pacing for the distance.

I will leave you this time with some awesome non-Canadian music for recovery purposes...I always like covers by good artists, and emotionally powerful uses of the F-bomb.



Your source for the best musical taste in the triathlon world

No comments:

Post a Comment