Sunday, May 1, 2011

Springbank

Finally, my first race report of the year! Not an important race but I feel like telling you about it. I'll post pictures later if I find any.

I was a little nervous about this one with it being my first road race and having no idea what to expect. I felt like I was doing my first tri again...wondering whether or not I was going to drown in opening 100 meters of the swim. Bike training has gone really well this year - good enough that all my roadie buddies are telling me to give up triathlon for road racing - but Springbank is known as a sketchy course with narrow roads, rough surfaces and tight corners...nothing like 18 laps in the rain for my first road race.

A little Muse on the big 4km commute and a good warmup and all was good. I'm in my element when I get on my bike, and did it ever feel great to start a ride with the "lead pack"...that doesn't happen to me in triathlon. But within 10 meters of the roll out someone bailed in front of me and I was forced to play catch up through the first 15k working my way through the pack.

On lap 9 (20k) Multisport Zone posted a prime so I decided to be a hero and try to make my entry fee back. I ended up 2nd in a good sprint but the increased pace split the group from 50+ down to 20 or so. I was in the hurt box trying to hop back on the train after the sprint and a failed "hey we made a gap, let's go" but managed to survive and chilled for a few more laps on the back of the lead group.

Things got pretty nervous in the last few laps but I was just staying out of the wind and not get caught at the back. On the last lap I made my way up to the front but two riders got away and the group didn't bother trying to chase at all. I still wanted the experience of getting a good sprint in so I tried to position myself well coming into the last 800m.

Unfortunately I picked the wrong wheel and found myself on the front with almost 300m left so I had to go. Note to self: 300m false flat/headwind solo sprint is not ideal. I got well off the front of the pack but two guys came by with 50m left. I managed to get one of them at the line and finished 4th.

I really wanted to win but I can't be too disappointed with top 5 in my first road race. I'm going to try to hit a few more this year and see if I can get the sprint right. If I get on a good wheel (or an actual lead out) I can outsprint anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment