Monday, May 30, 2011

Goings On

I'm becoming a triathlete again this week. Road cycling is fun, and I'm oddly good at it despite being a triathlete. But the chances of crashing Black Beauty are far too great for my liking. Running isn't bad either...I seem to place well at races despite always running significantly faster in training than any time I've ever put down in a race. So I'll stick with triathlon.

I finally put down a week of training that I'm satisfied with and I'm starting to feel ready for the tri season. I'm kicking the year off this weekend at Rev3 Quassy (Connecticut). I'm racing the Olympic and although the "feature race" is the half the next day, I was pleasantly surprised to find my name and picture beside some real athletes on the pro start list. I'll take all the fame and glory I can get.

Speaking of which, I have to thank John at MultiSport Canada for the props in regards to the Welland Half in 4 weeks. Damn, it's only four weeks away. There's nothing like false confidence from others to motivate you to train harder! It seems to happen every year that I impulsively decide to race a long course event and I become obsessively motivated by it in every workout. Welland is my first goal race this year and I'm really happy with my progress in training towards it. I am much stronger than I was for my attempt at conquering St. Croix 70.3 last year, but I also know that something is not going to go as planned and being prepared for the inevitable is a critical part of long course training.

You may recall that last year I swore off half ironmans for the forseeable future. But it's what I'm drawn to in training and racing and I got tired of fighting it. It may be in part that I train alone so I'm drawn to the events that are a test of pure selfish will. But as I develop as an athlete it's becoming more and more apparent that I'm a bike/runner. And based on some of the times RTC athletes Ian and Zander are throwing down right now it's just as well that I'm figuring out now that I'm better suited to the races that you merely have to survive, as opposed to actually going fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment