Monday, May 16, 2011

Busy Busy

It seems that my updates as of late have mirrored my training. Most triathlete-bloggers stop writing when they're in a heavy training block. For me it's the opposite...writing (blogs, music, texting a pretty girl) is a mental break from the daily grind.

I'm still struggling a bit with consistency and motivation to get the season underway but I'm finally making progress. I've taken a step back in the pool again with my gimp back giving me grief. It happens, I have to deal with it, no sense in stressing or feeling guilty about missed workouts.

In the last few weeks I've gotten 3 early season races in with decent results, and some of my bread & butter "find the trail with the steepest hill and run up and down until I fall over" workouts. Training programs, to-the-second intervals, track workouts etc. are all pieces in the puzzle but I love the simplicity and "primal" nature of my trail runs. They bring me back to why I started triathlon...because they're really f***ing hard.

Anyway that's all the philosphical stuff I've got for tonight. I was re-introduced to the real world this past week with training taking a back seat to having a real job. I must admit...I don't like it. I've done my share of 50+ hour work weeks and fitting in training wherever possible, but I generally prefer napping to work.

So I was in St. John's NL for business pretending to be a big boy for a week but I stumbled upon one of the coolest and hardest runs of my life.



Signal Hill (with a million little red dots to show you the trail):
0-481 feet in less than 2km, 321 stairs, winds over 100km/h...and sheer drops down to the ocean. Made for some pretty interesting runs.

Next up...possibly a road race or another 5k this weekend before getting the tri season rolling. First tri will be Rev3 Quassy Olympic June 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment