Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 1

Up at 6AM today to start my summer with the PTC squad. Things didn't get off to a great start in the pool, I've only been able to swim a couple times in the last 10 days between the car getting totalled, busting my wrist and moving to a different city. Warm up felt good, although kicking and Ryan don't get along at all. Then I proceeded to get f***ing buried in the main set. I've lost some strength in my wrist and it was bugging me quite a bit (thanks for being patient with me Craig).

Got home, 1500 calories worth of brekky and off for a 30min run before noon. I ran 3:59k's at 153 heart rate, it seems that my pace is increasing at low HR, but I'm still struggling at 3:20 pace for 5k, 3:10s for 3000m. Maybe I should be doing Ironman.

Afternoon session was a 2hr bike with 2x2o min @ 40k TT pace. I stuck with the group the first time through but wasted a ton of energy trying to bridge every gap myself. And I didn't drink enough and I cramped up on the 2nd interval, so I got dropped pretty quickly. Managed to average 38km/h solo and ended up about a minute behind them at the end. I pushed it hard today and still got my arse kicked. I guess I suck more than I thought, nothing like a complete loss of confidence coming up to my first race of the season. But I can only go up!

I was planning on Lakeside this weekend but based on how things felt in the pool today its still questionable. Don't really want to screw myself for nationals and worlds because I wanted to do my hometown race. I'll have to decide in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the PTC Ryan. I think you will be rolling along well sooner than you think. You had a great day of training. In a few weeks, you will be strong like bull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks man. I'll keep working hard, it'll come eventually.

    ReplyDelete