Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dear Triathlon,

I think it's time we have the talk. I know the talk is an awkward crossroads in any relationship, and I know you're already all over my facebook profile, but I'm the type of person who needs definitions and labels so this is something that has to happen. Where are we headed together, and what are my goals with you?

I'm going to be brutally honest. Sometimes you really screw me around. I know you're just giving me tough love because you're trying to make me a stronger person, but you kind of piss me off sometimes. You really raise my blood pressure, albeit temporarily. Then you leave me alone in the cold rain, 60km from home with tired legs. All I want is some warm coffee (and a hug if that's not too much to ask), but all I can do is hold back the tears and take the lonely road home.

I'll admit, I'm not all that "experienced" when I strip down to a speedo and let my hips do the talking. But a little gratification once in a while would really boost my confidence...perhaps that elusive sub-20 1500m, or just once catching the back of the chase pack.

But we've also had some great times together. You take me on trips around the world and let me experience things - both outside and within myself - that without you I would have never known. And every time we're together I feel my heart beating out of my chest for you.

I've given it a lot of thought triathlon, and I've decided I want to commit myself to this. I'll stop distracting myself with useless stuff like girls, a social life, grad school, or getting a job. You have my unequivocal dedication for at least two more Olympic cycles...I really want to make those World Cup standards one day.

I'm going to live in my parents basement for the next 10 years, so when I'm not with you I'll either be sleeping or playing video games, no other distractions. I'll do that for you. After 2020 I'll reconsider and perhaps do something with my life. But until then let's give this a shot to work out.

Sincerely,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment