Sunday, October 31, 2010

Leading Life From The Hips

A recent video analysis session with Coach James uncovered something interesting in my swim stroke: It sucks.

More specifically I'm still not engaging my core and leading through the hips. It was pretty evident through the video why I suffer from back problems in swimming and why a 4k workout is usually a near-death experience.

So it's one of those one step back-two steps forward times with my swim training. Short technical workouts, no watching the clock, and focusing solely on driving my stroke from the core rather than my typical forceful and horribly inefficient form.

Bike training is resuming...it seems I missed one of the best fall riding seasons since I started the sport and now I get to train in negative temperatures. At least until the snow flies and I dust off the rollers. I spent most of last week training in Guelph where we got a couple big rides in, and given that I hit a new sign sprint PB (clearly the strongest indicator of fitness) it seems I haven't lost much bike fitness through my month off.

Running is another story. Technically I'm not supposed to be running for another two weeks, but of course I've disregarded that little piece of advice from the well-meaning doctors. There are few things more frustrating than going from the best run shape of my life (I was well under 34 minutes for a cross 10k) to feeling like crap after a 20 minute run/walk. But I'll take fresh air over water running or the ellyptical and choose to disregard the pain.

Other than all that, I've started to put together next year's race schedule. I'm planning at least one winter training camp before once again starting my season in style with a May race in the Caribbean (sadly not St. Croix 70.3 this year). Then I plan to hit the Coteau du Lac Pan Am Cup followed by a new Pan Am race in July, before winding things down with my perennial favourites. Once again next year is all about training development. I don't expect any life-changing results but I look forward to another strong building year.

No comments:

Post a Comment