Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Race Week

I'm in full taper mode now with my A-race just 5 days away in Kelowna. I've had this race marked since I won the age group sprint race last season and I'm looking forward to stepping up with the big boys. I've fought a bit of inconsistency this year with injuries and lack of training partners, but overall I'm happy with my fitness and confident in my preparation for Elite Nationals.

The start list looks exceptionally strong this year so I have no expectations in the results. This race is going to be about learning how to mix it up with some world class athletes and have some fun while gaining valuable experience in elite racing. It appears to be a relatively large field (~70 men) for ITU which can only help me since it increases the chances of finding company on the bike. I don't want to have to force things on the bike like I did at Provincials, I'd much rather ride within my comfort zone and put in a huge effort on the run.

When I get back I'll take a week to relax before heading to my favourite race in Ontario, Multisport Canada's Cobourg triathlon on the 28th. Since I had a slow start to the race season I'm looking to have some solid performances late in the year. I'm no longer going to PATCO with it now being a qualifying race so after Kelowna I'll decide what I want to focus on...possibly another Continental Cup, or maybe even another crack at a 70.3 (pending coach's approval!)

No comments:

Post a Comment