Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekend

It was a big weekend of racing in Ontario (and Quebec) and ironically I missed two events that I had planned on competing in. My focus the past week has been #1 get healthy, #2 get back to having fun in training and racing...in that order. It's going to be tough going back to base and technical training in the middle of the season with my A-races coming up. But it will force me to stay postitive.

I still managed to have a busy weekend despite not racing, training, or having a job. The ongoing issue/defect with the BB30 system on my Kuota has finally been resolved with new bearings and a little ingenuity (ie. loctite). The Kuota Kult is the best bike I've ever ridden in terms of ride quality and overall awesomeness, but to be quite honest BB30 is a little fussier than a standard BB. But Kuota were great to deal with and ensured my bike was up and running flawlessly again.

Saturday was MultiSport Zone's megaday at Pinery Provincial Park with an open water swim, transition practice and a short bike/run. I like to keep the mood light when I come to MSZ workouts (ok I'm a total goofball, but focus #2 was having fun!) but I was still able to provide some instruction and demonstration for open water and transitions. Because the truth is...I'm actually not fast at all, I just do the little things right.

Today I attended one of OAT's drafting clinics to allow me to race draft-legal later on this season (assuming I learn how to swim). Coach Chris Helwig - a well-known and respected name in cycling around here - was my evaluator, with part of my evaluation being a group ride with his squad. To my surprise I managed to hold my own with some real cyclists, and I will likely start doing some of my bike training with his group as well as the London Centennial Wheelers. Every July (coincidence?) I get the bright idea in the back of my mind that I should give up triathlon and just become a full-time roadie...I'm sure this isn't going to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment