Friday, June 25, 2010

Update

We're almost half way through the season now, and having only finished one race so far things clearly haven't been going to plan. The good news is I'm on my way to getting back on track.

A visit to my physio Elizabeth Fox (who is likely the sole reason I'm still in triathlon) this week confirmed what I had presumed: a muscle imbalance between my glute med, hamstring and hip flexor that is both stemming from, and contributing to my lower back problems. Sounds scary, but it is very common with triathletes (Hunter Kemper and Kirsten Sweetland to name a couple) and just means I have to be extremely diligent with prehab, internal core strength and stretching...for the rest of my career in the sport.

So I have to take a step back before moving forward again by scaling back the intensity of training for a week or two and skipping a couple upcoming races. But I'm not disappointed since my core/prehab routine will not only keep my gimp back healthier, but will make me a stronger and more efficient athlete. And with the World Cup on for the next two weeks and Le Tour starting next weekend...I wouldn't mind being "injured" for a while!

In the mean time I'm getting back to just enjoying training and competition, something I've been lacking lately. My real season still doesn't start until elite/U23 provincials and elite nationals so I still have plenty of time to get healthy and fit. I'll still get my ass kicked but I'll do it with a smile on my face.

I'll also use my spare time to try to make this blog slightly more interesting. It has become decidedly mundane since discovering that my sarcastic sense of humor is not always well received. So I'll work on walking the line of making this thing worthy of reading, and not offending anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment