Friday, October 23, 2009

Time for a Lance quote

Sometimes the best part about triathlon is that when your life sucks you can do a 7 hour training day and crash on the couch at 8pm with a refreshed perspective on yourself. One of my favourite quotes from a decidedly inspiring athlete is:

"There is an unthinking simplicity in something so hard, which is why there's probably some truth to the idea that all world-class athletes are actually running away from something."
Lance Armstrong

A sobering thought but something I would bet most elite athletes can attest to in the inevitable up and downs of sport and life. But no painfully cleansing 7 hour days for me in late-October training, just a few workouts to test the fitness as I start off-season training.


Running is coming back very slowly. There are some issues with my calves that haven't really gone away in 5 months. Probably just an issue of strengthening it but I'm getting it checked out. But swimming isn't looking quite as bad. My issue with swimming all year has been endurance over a 4k+ workout. I'm pretty happy with my speed in the water right now - I was doing 1:10 hundreds this week. Now I just have to be able to hold that for a 90 minute workout.

The bright spot is my bike. I ended the season pretty stong on the bike and I did the Computrainer 10k TT this week to give me a base for improving over the winter. I did 15:42 (38.9km/h), and if anyone has done the Computrainer time trial they know its a pretty significant positive grade over the 10km. So I was pretty happy with that to start my winter training, and my ego is intact as I beat the Multisport Zone store record by 30 seconds. I plan on taking a minute off that by spring...just in time to get my new time trial bike on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment