Saturday, July 3, 2010

Limiting Losses

A theme I'm sharing with a few of the Tour favourites after today's prologue. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I'm still in rehab mode and getting a little impatient given that it's the mid-season and I'm restricted to base mileage and haven't gotten the green light to race. But I'm making the best of my training and worrying about what I can control - not doing anything stupid and really put myself in a hole.

Today was my first little test of how things are feeling with the LPC Training Day. 4hour workout with a main set of 2x ~300m swim/11k bike/2.6k run on the Loaring Tri course, with my focus being to push the first ~2mins of each leg then shut things down. It felt great to run fast for the first time in a few weeks (maybe a little too fast), but overall I feel that I'm not yet ready to hit the start line despite getting very anxious to race again. Step one is getting the mileage back up in the pool.

My plan is still to race elite provincials on the 31st as one of my key events for the year, and I'm hoping to sneak in a small race before then. But for now I'm forcing myself to hold off for a little more rehab, and then get a few hard yard sessions in before racing again. I hold myself to very high standards in racing - not always a good thing - and I'm not satisfied with my fitness even if I was feeling 100%.

Seems like a bit of mid-season chaos, but I've had a good early season of training, and I'm taking all this as an opportunity address all my weaknesses. And I still have all my big races ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment