Saturday, April 3, 2010

Blinders

What an unbelievable two days for some serious race prep for my early season 70.3. I was invited to train in Guelph Friday/Saturday to take some punishment from Mike Hay and Coach James, and we were treated to 25 degree weather with a healthy dose of humidity and wind. Couldn't ask for anything better with St. Croix coming up fast.

So we took the opportunity to get in a BIG bike focus while the cycling gods were smiling upon us. Friday was swim, 90k rolling bike and 30 min run off with tempo. Today an early 90k ride with over 3000 vertical feet of climbing, and 75min run in the afternoon. Suffice to say I faced my inner demons a few times, and have perfected my technique of "putting on the blinders", blocking everything out and cranking up the pace. James heard "Blinders!" more than a few times this weekend as my mental cue to refocus, shut up and get the work done.

Quote(s) of the weekend:
#1. "I'm not all that fit, but sometimes you can fake it." (Peter Robertson, before winning '05 Worlds)
#2. "My ass feels like a cheeseburger" (James, after 180k in the saddle)

No comments:

Post a Comment