Thursday, July 16, 2009

race week

The lack of interesting posts (or posts in general) would be due to the fact that I'm too tired from workouts and/or busy recovering from workouts. Its been a really tough couple weeks getting a ton of high quality mileage in, and the whole squad is feeling it. As Paul Sherwin says in the coverage of the Tour, "everyone is going through their own personal purgatory."

Training is going very well, I'm getting faster despite the fact that I've forgotten what its like to feel "fresh" for a workout. Seriously...I don't remember the last time I gave a positive answer when someone asked me how I feel. But its paying off. Monday's track workout ended up being the same as last Monday's (after a few adjustments to accommodate the tired and lazy squad). Last week my 1200s were 3:50-55 (3:12-3:14/km pace), this week I did 3:45-3:48 (3:07 pace) on much heavier legs, and it was after 4x400 to start. I've hit the run hard the last couple weeks doing 60-70k a week and I'm really looking forward to seeing the work pay off.

Swimming is getting there too, the shoulder is still bugging me a bit but I'm getting the workouts done with a bit of modification. I was doing 1:19 consistently for 100's today which is great for me.

Yesterday and today are fairly light days to give us a bit of a break before Belwood. Despite coming off our big training weeks I'm in a better mindset than I ever have been before a race. I know I've done the work and I'm on good form. So I'll get my 8% on Sunday and apply for my elite card. The plan is to race K-Town long course tri as an elite Aug 2, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment