Saturday, July 30, 2016

The best-laid plans...

Well I was going to write another summer update and talk about getting the most out of your training through things like nutrition, bike fit etc. But sometimes plans have to change!

It's been a month since MSC Welland but it seems like I've let the whole summer go by before toeing another start line. The week after Welland I was a little low on energy and motivation, so I took the opportunity to have a bit of an unscheduled mid-season break. The plan was to race Belwood the following week and start the second half of the season fresh and hungry for series points.

Unfortunately on the weekend between the two races I developed some mysterious knee pain during a long-ish Kingston simulation workout. I was optimistic that it was just a small niggle that would work itself out, but to be safe I decided to skip Belwood and volunteer instead. Side note - I think every triathlete should volunteer or work race crew once in a while. Not only are you doing your part to help out but it's a great way to remind yourself that racing is FUN!!

Anyway, two week after Belwood I still hadn't run 30 minutes pain free and accepted that I should get an assessment...actually I was kicking myself for being naive and not going two weeks sooner. I just kept thinking, "well I'm doing my core and rolling, how could I get injured?" After a thorough assessment my strength and stability is in fact pretty good, but a few minor points of tightness and inflammation were adding up to the discomfort I was feeling.

So unfortunately for the first time in about six years I've caught the injury bug and I'll be missing out on some of my goal races. I was very disappointed to accept that I won't be racing K-Town this weekend which carries bonus series points and is also one of my favourite races in Ontario. And with other life/work commitments I may not be able to fit in my four MSC races to stay in the running for series points.

That was a tough thing to accept given that it was my main goal for the season. The biggest challenge in chasing points is staying healthy and consistent the entire season, which historically I have struggled with when focusing on short course, and obviously I still have lots to learn. And of course it's been frustrating at times when recovery is far from a linear path. But like I said...triathlon is still supposed to be fun! So rather than throw a pity party I'm staying positive and learning as much as I can about my weaknesses and how to prevent these issues in the future.

In all honesty there have been a few things that have been years in the making, and up until now I've managed to do just enough prehab to keep them from putting me out. I'm actually happy that I'm addressing some deeply rooted strength and range of motion concerns that over the last two years I had basically accepted as something I'd have to live with as an athlete. I will also take it as a good lesson that I am being forced to address these things now, in a year that doesn't have an Ironman or World Champs looming.

I've managed to stay pretty consistent with my swim and bike training over the last four weeks and I know that once I'm healthy my run fitness is good. I've been avoiding "testing" my running and have focused only on what I know I can do pain-free, but I can tell that things are slowly progressing. So I am setting some new goals for the rest of the season focusing on shorter distances and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.

Depending on how the next 10 days go I am tentatively planning on racing Orillia in the Subaru series - an event that I haven't done before and have always wanted to check out. But I've changed my focus from targeting a late season 70.3 and my new goal race will be back in Welland for some fast and furious racing at the new Age Group Draft Legal Championships.

Thanks for the read and I'll do my best to keep things updated throughout the rest of the season. Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment