Saturday, June 2, 2012

What's Been Going On?

You might be wondering what I have been up to over the last couple weeks with the lack of updates and race reports. Unfortunately sometimes plans have to change and life gets in the way of racing. But rather than talk about what I've been up to I thought I would share some far more interesting stuff that has gone on since my last post.


Ryder Hesjedal made history as the first Canadian to win a grand tour!! It was a very proud moment for Canada and Canadian cycling. But I think I will hold off the custom pink paint job on my Cervelo for now. If he wins the Tour I'll do yellow though...


Brent McMahon finished up a crazy 8 months of Olympic qualifying and it came down to him beating one athlete to earn Canada 3 Olympic spots for the men, thus getting him a spot to his second Games. He is a tough bugger and it will be cool to see Simon Kyle and Brent line up in a couple months. Speaking of which, the Olympics are fast approaching!

Between the Tour starting in less than a month and the Summer Olympics starting shortly after, I am strongly considering quitting my job and planting my ass on the couch for two months straight. Or maybe I will see if that will fall under paid leave.



And finally, yes I have been training. I was mistaken for someone actually competing at last weekend's Woodstock Triathlon...but I'll take the recognition for riding 100k into a headwind to get to the race site, then run off the bike. I was pretty bummed to see my buddies Alex and Mark battle it out on the course without me but I'm looking forward to finally getting my race season officially underway in two weeks time.

My slight change of plans has me once again at a local gem, the Leamington Tomatoman as my final tune up for the Welland half. Strangely Welland feels more daunting than St. Croix, despite the two being polar opposites in course profiles. And despite being very confident and proud of my preparation leading up to St. Croix, and having put in a lot more strong and specific training in the month since, I'm still nervous about Welland. Maybe it's that I fubar'd the race last year, or maybe it's that I know deep down that I am prepared to really fight it out at the front of the race, or that while it doesn't compare to STX the race is still worth a lot in terms of prize money (for the overall series).

After Welland I am hoping to add one or two more MSC events to make up for lost points from last weekend, but overall the season goals are still there and I am looking forward to a big year of racing. After such an intense preparation for an early season race it feels like I'm wasting time not having crossed a finish line yet this year, but I think I'm starting to get comfortable with the fact that nothing ever goes to plan.

2 comments: