Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Season in Photos

I usually try to post a few pictures in each race report through the year to break up the monotony (even if it means occasionally using the print screen function rather than paying $40 for a picture of myself :) ). But I was admittedly a little lazy with it this year, so it seems like a fitting time to throw together a bit of a collage of the year! There might be a few I've previously posted but here's my complete season in photos. Enjoy!


I started off the year with my first ever road race. 2nd spot here, trying to instigate a breakaway in the Springbank O-Cup


Getting some experience putting my sign sprints to the test. Finished 4th, 2nd in main field sprint. At least I had the prettiest bike in the race!



First tri of the year was in beautiful Connecticut for Rev3 Quassy. PB swim of 22:04


Off for the hardest Olympic distance run ever!


Tri #2 - Leamington Tomatoman (AG Provincials). I made a tactical mistake lining up on the start line and was forced to fight the current and miss the leaders by the first turn.


Trying to muscle out a fast 5k in the middle of a big 70.3 training block. Good enough for 3rd behind two strong boys.


I'm using a non-descript photo so as not to embarrass her, but I have to mention my amazing girlfriend. In her first year of "serious" training she has won her age group in every race she's done, including Provincial Champ in both sprint and Olympic distances. Here she is having a stellar race in Welland, the day before my royal mental f**kup (ie. the Welland Half).


A month off to regroup before Bala Falls. Accomplishing a huge mental goal - first out of the water.


Up by 2+mins coming off the bike


As I came into T2 MSC's announcer told the crowd "now watch Ryan's transition and how incredibly fast he is in-and out". Pressure was on but I still pulled off my usual fastest T2 split :)


By far my best race of the year and maybe ever, and a huge mental victory.


And my support staff, who drank my 7up when I went to the podium


The only photo evidence from Ottawa Draft-Legal Provincials. Probably a good thing


Cobourg Sprint Tri - 56 degree water!


Feeling pretty flat on the day but I knew what needed to be done on the run. Took the lead at 2k for my 2nd win of the year


Final tri of the year - Chatham Bulldog. Only a few seconds back from some fast swimmers, getting closer!


To Coach James's astonishment, on race morning I pulled out my vintage 1999 Team Canada Worlds singlet (a hidden gem I found in some old stock uniforms at AG Worlds in 2008). Must have been good luck, I averaged 43.5km/h on the bike and ran a PB 5k. But only good enough for 3rd.




Lots of ups and downs, lots of fun, and plenty to learn from and build on for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment