Saturday, May 8, 2010

Back to Work

Between tapering for St. Croix and a few easy days this week I haven't done any heavy training in almost two weeks now. Next week is the start of my training block leading up to my first ITU race at Coteau-du-Lac. I've been anxious to get started with it since about 5 minutes after my last 4-hour brick prior to St. Croix.

I had been hesitant to race Coteau given that its fairly early in the season and I'm unsure if my fitness will be where I want it for my ITU debut. But I've adopted the attitude that the race will be a trial by fire in preparation for national and continental championships later in the year. I have no expectations besides getting on the start line and giving it hell for two hours.

Despite not getting the result I was hoping for in my first attempt at a 70.3, the training leading up to the race went very well and I feel that I have a solid base to build on for the rest of the season. I signed up for it not because I wanted to do well, but because I knew it would be the hardest race I've ever done. I'm going into the next phase of training mentally stronger, more motivated, and with a need to redeem myself by training harder than ever.

Training alone has its drawbacks, but it has also given me focus and a more positive attitude on "the process". The pace clock at the UWO pool has become my best friend, and I'm relying on feedback from random drivers pulling up beside me during my hard intervals to yell "Dude you're doin' 49!!". But I'm far from the ideal training environment here, and I hope to move to Guelph full time this fall in hopes of having a better chance at realizing my potential in the sport.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the unenviable position in the sport where I'm not yet at the level to attain funding, but the need for part-time work is cutting into my opportunity to train and recover to my fullest potential. The biggest lesson I've learned from St. Croix is a level of perspective and patience I lacked previously (frustrating more than one coach along the way). Success in this sport doesn't just happen, and if I want to make a living as a professional triathlete (thus achieving my life goal of never having a real job) its going to take years of consistent day-to-day hard work before I see a paycheque. But I'm not in this because its easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment