Thursday, November 12, 2009

Simon Says GOLD

Alright so the last few days I have passed up my neuroscience readings and historiographical research on Nazi Germany in favor of Simon Whitfield's new book. Canadians are so lucky to have such an inspiring athlete they can call their own, and triathletes around the world couldn't have a better spokesman and ambassador for their sport.

Every triathlete in Canada can tell you where they were and what they were doing when Whitfield won in Sydney in 2000. For me, I was getting up for the start of a new school year (grade 7) and came downstairs in time to see the last few km of the men's event. My mom was getting excited saying "look a Canadian is getting close to the lead! Simon Whitfield!" He was running through the field and made it look effortless, and we had the feeling it was his day. We were jumping up and cheering when he threw down the Olympic banner and threw on a Canadian hockey jersey as he stepped to the top of the podium for his gold medal.

One of my neighbours and now not-often-enough training buddy John Syrovy had finished his first Ironman in Lake Placid earlier in the summer of 2000, and inspired by both I dreamed of one day being a triathlete too.


Equally inspiring was the first time I met Simon at the Vancouver World Champs last summer. My first thought when he grabbed my camera for a picture together was "wow, this guy is my friggin hero", and the second was "I want to be as fast as him one day." But all I could mutter to him was a feeble "thanks man, good luck on Sunday" and skipped back to my cousin's apartment. I went on to a PB race wearing the Canadian singlet at Age Group Worlds for the first time. He went on to Olympic silver later that summer, when I once again was screaming at the TV as he sprinted to the line.

Earlier this year in Kelowna he once again was an inspiration as he "easily" ran away with the win at Nationals. I had seen him earlier in the week and did a couple swim starts beside him at the swim course familiarization, just to say I did. After his win, he made sure he high-fived and got a picture with every kid at the finish line...including me. I had won the age group race earlier in the day(throwing down the banner just as Whitfield had done in Sydney) and was already making plans to race against my hero at Elite Nationals next summer. This time I was able to mutter "awesome race Simon, you're an inspiration". My mom who was in Kelowna as my fanclub - and was also inspired by him in 2000 - was proud to say she got sprayed by his sweat.

So now as I read his book I'm once again inspired to continue my journey to find my potential in the sport, and hopefully get my swim time fast enough to make pack at Nationals next summer. I highly reccommend the book to EVERYONE, its fantastic.

Thanks again Simon,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment