Tuesday, September 8, 2009

G'day from Surfers

So you may be wondering why I haven't written any updates during the only time of my season that actually may be worth reading updates on. Well thing have picked up where they left off in Vancouver last week...frustrating, stressful, overwhelmingly unsuccessful, with a great view!...

I got here Friday afternoon, my flight was fine, no issues with the ridiculously long flight. Get this, it cost me $50 on Air Canada to fly my bike from Vancouver to Sydney (14+hrs), and $150 on Qantas from Sydney to Gold Coast (~50min flight). Actually that pretty much epitomises Australia...a friggin ripoff for everything. My hotel tried to charge me for toilet paper today. There's no such thing as free internet here.

In terms of my race, I adjusted to the time change extremely well. But for the last four days I've felt like I'm getting sick, not getting worse but really not improving either. I've been having a lot of trouble catching my breath when I'm working out, and even when I'm just waking up. I finally got in a pool for the first time in far too long yesterday...and I felt beyond sluggish but I'll keep plugging away all week with the hope that 1500m will at least feel managable on Saturday. I finally got my wheels taken care of today, $250 later I have a new tubular tire and the wheels are trued. And running is no better, my calf which has been an ongoing injury throughout the year is acting up again, and I'm pretty sure I have a stress fracture in my big toe.

Overall this really isn't how I want to be feeling 4 days out from World Championships, and if things don't improve throughout the week I can't race in the physical condition I'm in right now. Even if it is world champs. So I'm just worrying about what I can control right now, trying to clear the cobwebs, staying positive despite the inevitable stresses of travelling. Race events start tomorrow and that may give me the motivation I've been searching for since nationals to get through a few more days of feeling crappy and be able to get on the start line Saturday morning. So that's why I haven't posted anything lately. In spite of all of that complaining, it really is a pretty place. The race site looks very well designed and much better organized that Vancouver last year. I'll post some pictures when I find faster internet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryno! Jeez, both my freakin’ nephews make it to Auz before I do!?! Good on ya mate!

    Hey, did Anthony Robbins help you write this post? Inspirational stuff - I felt like committing hari kari by the third paragraph.
    Don’t fret boy – we Powers are a resilient bunch (there is no empirical evidence to back that up, but it sounds good, eh?).

    Auntie ESP and I are proud of your triumph in BC. First time a Power ever won anything other than Fugly Shirt day.
    Just do your best over there, and have fun!

    PS: Remember, in the first leg, you don’t have to out-swim the shark, just out-swim at least one other guy.

    ReplyDelete