Friday, September 27, 2013

Because Pictures Are Less Boring

 Well, its off season. And so far it has been successful, if success is measured by not getting really fat and not going stir crazy. I had been planning on a bit of a run focus through the fall but I have to wait for a few minor things to heal up before putting in big run mileage. So for now I'm busy planning the crap out of next season, and reflecting on a fun and full 2013 season. Lots of fun adventures and new challenges...it looked something like this:
 

 
 Tour of Bronte - 60k road race, half gravel roads. I have never suffered like that on a bike before. Average power for first 30min was around 330W, and about 5 watts below my FTP for 90 minutes of racing. Managed to get myself in good position for the sprint (and a cool photo), but as always, I was impatient and went too early. Still won my entry fee back!
 
Run for Retina 10k. Unfortunately sub-13 minutes was not my official time
 
MSC Woodstock, first tri in about 10 months. Great swim, good bike, bad cramp on the run.

I needed a confidence boost on my run before Mont Tremblant 70.3, so I raced Guelph Lake 8 days out. Probably my best all around race all summer!
 
What an experience Mont Tremblant was...venue, race organization, and my race. Another good swim, one of my best rides ever (except for the flat!), and a baby step forward on the run.
 
Smile has progressed to pain face....
 
And now sleepy time face. Finishing time there is not correct :)
 
Another interesting experience, my first off-road tri! I was so proud to race on my newly built custom Niner Air9. Survived the bike in insane conditions and ran well to claim a National AG win.
 
Two weeks later, this time Olympic distance Nationals. This is about where my race got better.
 
I had an ok swim, poor bike, and was ready to pack it in mentally. Then I got some great support in T2 and got my act together and ran well.
K-Town Long Course Tri...my steed's glamour shot
 
Managed a good swim despite a rough start
Out of T1 in good position, but I never found my biking legs.
 
Finished strong, but more importantly I learned how to suffer through a tough day in a long course race. Good lesson heading into my big race for the season.

Muskoka 70.3. My biggest victory with this race was how well I trained leading up to it. Had fun on race day and got my spot for Worlds next year.
 
Looks like I've made the transition to long course...visor on, gels in race belt, running slow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment