Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Next Up

Well I had been planning on heading down to Windsor for a shot at some prize money at the Tecumseh Triathlon last weekend. But my body and brain were ready for a break after two weekends of racing and a little over 20 hours in the car. It seems like I've been skipping out on a lot of races this year...but the truth is it's part of being an elite triathlete - knowing when NOT to race.

So I got back to business and have gotten two good weeks of training in, including some fun miles up in Muskoka once again as I helped out at Multisport Canada's Bracebridge event, and did my best as support crew for Amanda. She also learned a tough lesson that racing can give you a serious mental and physical ass kicking sometimes, but it's been inspiring to see such a positive attitude towards the sport throughout the season. But she will be embarrassed if I write any more about her so I'll get back to the point.

I've been thinking about my training this summer and I feel like I haven't been working nearly as hard as I'm used to, yet I'm much faster/stronger/more efficient in all sports. Sometimes I freak out that I haven't been doing enough, but I think I'm finally learning the definition of consistency...or at least applying it properly. I must be getting better and practicing what I preach because I can think of very few training sessions this year that felt "epic" or even out of the ordinary. I'll even get frustrated when I know I've gone too hard for a certain session.

I'm getting tired of being a training champion and I prefer to actually transfer my fitness to strong races. But every once in a while I'll get a reminder in my training that I'm headed in the right direction - like actually doing a full main set on 1:30 pace time, or average 42-45km/h for long intervals on the bike, or hold sub 3:10s for my favourite run workout (hilly 2k reps).

So up next is just a small event but my very favourite race in the world...MSC's Cobourg sprint tri. It's one of the prettiest race venues out there with a course that's tailored to my strengths...hard bike and fast run. I haven't raced as much as I would like by mid-August, but I've been injury free all summer, I've put together by far the strongest and most consistent year of training since I started the sport, and I'm very excited to see what I can put down in my final races of the year.

One final thing...it has been FAR too long since my last ACMFRP (awesome canadian music for recovery purposes) post!! So I'm leaving you with a beauty this time:


No comments:

Post a Comment